Timatollah

Wednesday, August 13, 2003
 
Lost Attractions

Mark Lane, of FlaBlog fame, linked (in this post) to the Florida Lost Tourist Attractions site which has a somewhat overlapping list with those mentioned in the similar list from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that I mentioned in this post (below).

Among those on the master list at the FLTA site that I've been to are
  • Africa U.S.A., Boca Raton
  • Aquatarium, Saint Petersburg Beach
  • Cypress Gardens, Winter Haven (also saw the water-ski show from a boat in the Chain of Lakes with a former Cypress Gardens water-skier and her son, someday to be Olympic gold medalist Rowdy Gaines)
  • HMS Bounty, St. Petersburg
  • Masterpiece Gardens, Lake Wales
  • Petticoat Junction/Old Laredo, Panama City Beach
  • Prince of Peace Memorial, Silver Springs
  • Rainbow Springs, Dunellon
  • Ross Allen's Reptile Institute, Silver Springs
  • Six Gun Territory, Silver Springs
  • Sunken Gardens, St. Petersburg
  • Tommy Bartlett's Deer Ranch, Silver Springs
  • Treasureland, Tampa
  • Webb's City, Saint Petersburg
I saw many of these when I was in prep school down here in the 8th and 9th grades. My folks would pick me up for the weekend, and we'd go somewhere. Tampa one weekend, the Kennedy Space Center another, etc.

There are several Daytona Beach attractions on the list I'm clueless about. Maybe Mr. Lane can fill everyone in.