Timatollah

Thursday, July 10, 2003
 
Taxivision

Tori Amos's Taxivision contest is down to nine finalists. Tori write the song, and nine folks came up with a visual to go along with it.

Lee McCaulla of Memphis, Tennessee, is the only animated finalist, as described by John Beifuss at the Commerical Appeal. (What the heck, it's been a long time?: "More commercial than appealing.")

Beifuss was recently awarded one of Andrew Sullivan's "awards" for comments that seemed a little-bit too over-the-top for Sullivan (more likely, one of his reader's) taste. My image of Beifuss is of a serious student of film, but of film as fun, not film as preaching or film as propaganda or film as static blob. He's especially good when it comes to the contemporary and classic horror flims. In my book, he's a good writer, and when I lived in Memphis, I tried to consistenly read his reviews in the CA, even when I had no intention of seeing the flick in question.

Tori's Taxivision contest ends tomorrow, so if you're interested in checking out the nine videos and voting, you need to get on it.

I have to admit that I'm a little surprised that Ms. Amos is doing this. She's one of the last persons I'd expect to be involved in a contest with Rolling Stone as a sponsor. But, she's a commercial musician, so I can't begrudge her doing things she feels she has to do to do what it is that she does. Still, part of me wonders what happened to the young woman on the porch of the shack with a shotgun.

She'll be playing at UCF Arena, with Ben Folds, on Wednesday, 3 September.