Timatollah

Tuesday, January 14, 2003
 
Rock Notes

Geez, what is up with Pete Townsend? The latest: He's been released from jail. The Who having been faves of mine from way back (say, ninth grade), I'm hoping this is all as Townsend describes. But what he's saying, like so many things he's said previously regarding sexuality and sexually-related things -- you know, his "I know what it feels like to be a woman, because I have been one" followed years later by "just kidding" -- just comes across like bullshit.

Second, about Maurice Gibb and the Bee Gees. The Bee Gees were a great band long before they hit huge with the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. Songs like "I Started a Joke" and "Lonely Days and Lonely Nights" put then on this one's radar screen around the same time as, say, the Who. They were headliners in the second arena rock show I ever saw: At the Municipal Auditorium in Nashville in the summer of 1971 (I think. First rock show was Credence at Cobo Hall earlier that same summer. Eat your heart out Mr. Instapundit). I'm sorry to hear of another of the brothers Gibb passing away.