Timatollah

Monday, January 06, 2003
 
Gangs of New York

Apologies to all, but I'm not going to take the time, just now at least, to write a full-blown review -- or even a pretend review -- of Gangs of New York. I've tried twice previously: Once Blogger ate my post, and the other time I just screwed up.

Anyway, it's a picture of enormous narrative scope with some fine performances. Yes, Daniel Day-Lewis steals the show, and both Leo DiCaprio and Cameron Diaz are good. (I can't figure out if Leo is really good or just gets cast in roles where he might be good but you wouldn't be able to tell if he wasn't.) But the star of the film is Scorsese, first for having the gumption to imagine such a project, and second for pulling it off.

Flawed? Possibly. But, again, it is the narrative scope -- telling a ture story of America and its roots in violence, particularly a federal government willing to use violence against its own citizens if necessary -- that makes this film great.