Timatollah

Sunday, January 26, 2003
 
American Splendor

The ever watchful Shattered Buddha / Dragonleg notes (here) that a film about left-wing Cleveland comic book artist/writer Harvey Pekar took a best film award at the Sundance Film Festival.

Anyone who ever saw Pekar on Letterman -- or who read Pekar's piece about being on Letterman -- knows that Pekar is a curmudgeon who does nothing at all to disprove the notion that there's no room for fun on the left. I know nothing about the film, so I have no idea how Pekar comes across in it. If it's something he's responsible for, probably smarmy and self-righteous; if it's something someone else produced, he probably comes across as someone who doesn't know what a self-righteous jerk he seems to be.

I wonder if this makes the copies of American Slendor, Pekar's comic book, that are buried somewhere in the comic book box worth more. Hello? E-bay?

Addendum: What I hope is my better nature is telling me I ought to add that I haven't paid any attention to Pekar's work since the early 1990s, so my characterization of him above is based on that, not current knowledge. People change sometimes.