Timatollah

Saturday, October 12, 2002
 
Coming Out as Good Citizenship

I've put the text of of my NCOD speech online here. I'm sure the argument's been made a zillion times before, but the crux of the matter is that coming out involves
  • Personal integrity;
  • Honesty;
  • Respect for self and for others;
  • Courage; and
  • Responsiblity.
I hate to tell the garden variety homophobes out there, but those are among the qualitites that make an individual a good citizen, not those that make a person someone to be disgusted with. But to note that is to note that despite the haters' arguments, their hate has no rational basis.

We had a good crowd: the young people from GALBA, some locals from the Daytona Beach Business Guild and their mailing list, and a few faculty friends who I very much appreciate being there.