Timatollah

Sunday, July 21, 2002
 
This Week in Global News Watch

Howard Owens at Global News Watch has had a number of good posts this past week. I really don't have a lot to say about them beyond I enjoyed them, but I'd like to point any readers (hah!) to some of them.
  • "The pro-American Muslim cleric" is about a Sufi (not Suni) Muslim leader who's been exposing the extent of Wahhabist domination of US Muslim congregations.
  • "Going to battle with ideas" is about postmodernism. It's actually very generous to postmodernism.
  • "Here's a tip for you" discusses the proposed TIPS system. I think it's a throught-provoking read regardless of where you ultimately come down on the issue. I'm basically with Howard on this: this is not the be-all and end-all of civil liberties that some are suggesting; instead, it's an opportunity for civic behavior.

There's other good stuff. I believe that Howard knows that I'm to the left of him on just about everything, but I still think he has a lot to say that's worth reading.

Addendum: In this entry, Glenn Reynolds argues that the problem with TIPS is bureaucratic. That if the FBI couldn't process suggestions re possible terrorist activities from its own agents, how can it handle input from a several orders of magnitude larger number of citizens. Does make ya go "hmmmm", now, doesn't it?